English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Online
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Online is a multi-level, integrated skills program. It is designed for students who want to bring their language skills up to the level required for university admission. Students build their academic and general vocabulary using a theme-based approach. They learn through authentic academic tasks, develop critical reading skills, improve listening strategies, and learn to produce a variety of written and spoken academic texts.
Experienced instructors teach EAP Online through Canvas, UBC’s Learning Management System. The Program has the same curriculum and teaching approach as the on-campus version. You have the opportunity to interact with your instructors and receive personalized feedback. You join your classmates in virtual classrooms, work together on group activities and gain the confidence you need to succeed in the academic environment.
- Lower intermediate to advanced levels (CEFR A2+–C1+)
- Two courses per level - you can take one or both
- Each course delivered over eight weeks with 168 hours of instruction
- 21 hours per week; 18 hours of synchronous teaching & 3 hours of asynchronous teaching
- Classes run from 3:00PM - 8:15PM (Vancouver Time) with a 45 minute break*
- Optional Friday Workshops and Socio-cultural activities
*Classes may also be held from 8:00AM - 1:15PM (Vancouver Time) to accommodate time zones.
Benefits of Learning at UBC:
- Learn the academic English of a leading university, not just textbook EAP
- Utilize UBC resources to complete coursework
- Become familiar with UBC’s academic culture
- Study using UBC's Learning Management System and other educational technologies
- Have everyday opportunities to interact with UBC students
- Meet UBC's English Language Admission Standard at our B2 level
Open all | Close all