Study English Plus Current Global Issues
The UBC English Language Institute’s new Global Citizenship through English (GCE) Online program advances your understanding of current global issues while improving your spoken English fluency and accuracy.
Example study topics include:
- Climate Action
- Green Business
- Women in Sports
- Sports Culture
- Inter-Generational Relationships
- Civil Society
4-Week Programs | Flexible Learning
Program Cost: $1,848
Improve your English fluency and accuracy in live interactive classrooms using UBC’s easy to use online learning systems. Focus on English communication skills with our highly experienced instructors.
- 21 hours per week: 15 direct instruction (synchronous teaching) and 6 independent learning (asynchronous teaching). Asynchronous study is facilitated and monitored by the instructor.
- Practise English in real time with live video and instant messaging
- Work in pairs and teams with your classmates from different countries and cultures
- Take part in projects, facilitated discussions and short talks by guest speakers
- Join virtual tours of UBC’s campus and downtown Vancouver, and take part in virtual sociocultural events
- Receive a certificate of completion
As part of a top research university you’ll cover content from UBC Faculties on topics such as climate change, and safe, sustainable cities.
In GCE Online, you’ll use the UBC virtual classroom platform. This allows collaborative learning in realtime through videoconferencing, file sharing, and instant messaging taught by ELI experts in language teaching.
The GCE program includes lots of English language practice with UBC undergraduates from Canada and many other countries around the world. Make more international friends while you enjoy daily sociocultural events such as Chat with CAs, Wellness Wednesday, UBC and downtown tours, Yoga and Dance classes.
Monday – Thursday 4:00-7:45pm (Vancouver Time)
2021 Winter Session
Mar 22 – Apr 15
2021 Summer Session
May 17 – Jun 10
Jun 14 – Jul 8
Jul 12 – Aug 5
Aug 9 – Sep 2
2021 Fall Session
Sep 7 – Sep 30
Oct 4 – Oct 28
GCE Online runs every month for 4 weeks except in January which is 3 weeks.
Looking for more information on the Global Citizenship through English Online program? Find out more.