Discover the ELI
The English Language Institute (ELI) opened in 1969 on the University of British Columbia's Vancouver campus, and we welcome thousands of international students through our doors every year. As an ELI student, you learn from English Language instructors who are leaders in the field of language education. You also have access to many of the outstanding resources that UBC offers.
- English Fundamentals Program – a skills-based program
- UBC Vancouver English Experience Program – gain real-world English language skills
- English for Academic Purposes – academic English (upper intermediate to advanced)
- Business English – English skills for the workplace (all levels)
- English for the Global Citizen – English through the lens of global citizenship, civil society, and sustainability (all levels)
As an ELI student, you are surrounded by other students with interests and ambitions that match your own – students who are as independent, adventurous and creative as you are. You see your English improve every day and enjoy social and cultural activities led by UBC students. The ELI English-only policy helps you learn more quickly and make friends with people from all over the world. After your stay here, you’ll return home with memories that will last a lifetime.
You are supported by the ELI team who ensure that your journey is filled with learning, excitement, and curiosity. Our staff can offer you a range of services, which includes helping with accommodation and planning social and cultural activities at UBC, in Vancouver, and beyond.
The ELI building is located in the centre of the UBC campus, and features bright and comfortable classrooms and a Student Study Centre (SSC). You also have access to many of the outstanding resources that UBC offers such as libraries, sports complexes, art galleries, museums, hospital, and gardens.