Become a Homestay Host
Offer ELI Students a Home Away from Home
It is important for students enrolled in ELI to have the opportunity to experience life in an English-speaking environment. To enhance language learning, we recommend that students live where English is spoken. Homestay offers students a home away from home, where they can practice English outside the classroom and learn about Canadian life and customs.
The ELI regularly recruits host families for our Homestay program. Host families may be couples with or without children, single parents, empty nesters or single adults. Students participating in ELI programs and Homestay are mainly from Asia (Japan, Korea and China), Mexico, South America, Europe and Canada.
Homestay Host Requirements
Homestay Hosts must:
- be located in Vancouver less than 1 hour from the UBC campus by bus
- have a good command of the English language
- be committed to providing a supportive, English-only environment conducive to language learning
- commit to spending at least one hour per day with your student and include them in as many daily family activities as possible
- be willing to help students adjust to a new culture
- be open to learning about other cultures and exchanging ideas
- provide your student with a fully furnished room including a desk
- provide three meals a day
The remuneration per student for 2024 is $65 per night.
Apply to be a Homestay Host
In order to be considered as a Homestay Host, please download and complete the application form, and read the Homestay Program Host Family Handbook, linked below. ELI Homestay staff will visit selected homes in order to view the amenities, answer questions and discuss the Homestay experience. Homestay staff members are available to assist students and host families throughout the homestay period.
Download the Homestay Host Application Form (PDF).
Read the Homestay Program Host Family Handbook (PDF).
Questions About Being a Homestay Host?
For any questions you might have and to submit your application form, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.